From what we understand, here are the reasons why fake grass works well in a vivarium:
- many reptiles like its strong green colour
- fake grass is easy to clean - unlike traditional carpeting (a popular alternative); a clean vivarium is important for the health of the reptile
- fake grass does not need replacing often - unlike newspaper (another popular alternative)
- when you do need to replace the lining, it should not be often and will not expensive as there is only a small area involved
- a quality fake grass product with a dense weave will be suitable for lining not just the vivariums floor but also the walls and back of it - areas where some reptiles like to climb and which will need to withstand their weight when climbing.
Our most popular product for use in vivariums has so far been Lifestyle® Multi Grass, a heavy duty fake grass with a 13mm pile height.
Just in case you don't believe what we're saying, here is a completely independent web page all about caring for iguanas which mentions the benefits of fake grass: